Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Unhappy bunny . . . in hospital . . . .

Rang Stephen this morning - thank goodness for mobile phones, unlike old days when one had to go through the ward sister before making contact with a patient - and then only during certain hours. 
Stephen is NOT a happy bunny (unsurprising).  Was initially put on a trolly in A & E for 2+ hours then moved to a mixed ward in Assessment.  At 1.30a.m. was moved to a Medical ward. 

His temperature rose again during the night and was having more cold/hot sweats.  
The hospital is struggling with staff running all over the place and there is a terrible shortage of beds. I fear for the future of the NHS. It is stretched to the limit.

Curiously, his temperature seems to have settled down this morning and his blood count is up (no need for isolation) but the fevers are proving a mystery. 

He wants to come home - says he might as well 'cos all they're giving him is paracetamol and ibuprofen tablets. I told him they were monitoring him whilst waiting for the results of tests, but he insists he would feel better if nursed at home as he doesn't want to die in hospital.

I rang our local Hospice to talk to the Macmillan nurse who usually deals with Stephen to see if support at home could be provided for both Stephen (and me). Apparently one has to be referred to a Hospice by one's GP or MacMillan nurse.  I'm waiting for her call.

Meanwhile I'm to ring the hospital this afternoon.

So . . .a bit of time to pack the quilts and have a nice big cup of freshly brewed coffee (with cream)!
Yes, I know cream is beige and beige foods supposedly make you fat - but 'wot the 'eck' as they say in Lancashire - there are times when needs must . . . . .

3 comments:

jan said...

I abslutely hate hospitals, I know we have to have them, but these days they are so impersonal, the staff all look gloomy, I know it is probably a thankless ob they all do but, what I am saying is, get Stephen home Babs, hee is far better off with his own things and surroundings and you of course. Get the GP to refer you PDQ. You both need help of course and the MN will provide that. What about Marie Curie Nurses do you not have them in your area? I have heard they too are wonderful.
All the best to you Babs, thinking of you both. sending huge hugs ((((((())))))) to you both. lol Jan

Maggi said...

I totally agree with Jan, Babs. If there is anyway at all that you can cope, let him come home. It is hard but ultimately you will both benefit. You are in my thoughts. Maggi

Angela said...

Oh Babs I really do feel for you both. I agree he would be much better at home with you...I work at a GP surgery and we can refer really quickly in situations like this so do please try to get them to help.
Look after yourself too though. You're both in my thoughts too...take care.
Angela