Thursday, April 23, 2009

A lousy night . . .

Spent most of the night weeping - just couldn't stop. The house felt so empty. 
Finally, at 4 a.m. had a Beechams Powder, in a desperate attempt to help me sleep. Don't think they are regarded as sleeping draughts but did seem to settle me down and I fell asleep - woke a few minutes ago. 

Was going to ring the ward this morning but something made me change my mind and I rang Stephen on his mobile instead. 
He answered - sounding decidedly brighter.  The relief was tremendous - so much so - made me start crying again.  
I realise this is probably only  a temporary upbeat blip  - but while there's hope . . . . and he's such a tough determined personality, with a big heart  . . . .  pray he may pull through this setback and allow us to have some quality time together before the inevitable happens.

It's akin to being on a roller coaster. 

Talked to the hospital chaplain who was at Stephen's bedside when I rang - David is so comforting and a personal friend to boot.  We've offered him Stephen's ticket for Saturday's concert at the Ashton Hall, so he's going to attend the concert and take a friend.

Goodness knows if I will feel like singing - I certainly couldn't raise a note at this moment in time but, with a bit of luck, and no downturns in Stephen's condition - I'll be able to sing along, in full voice, with the rest of 'em.

I cannot face taking the quilts to Bilsborrow, so a student of mine is collecting them all and doing the honours, for which I'm grateful.

Going to put the kettle on . . . .



3 comments:

Maggi said...

So glad that Stephen is feeling more cheerful and that you managed to get some sleep. It is a roller coaster but if you are both strong for each other it will help you to get through it. The important thing is to keep talking to each other the biggest regret can be leaving things unsaid.

Angela said...

I'm glad to hear that Stephen is a lot brighter today - it will make all the difference to how you feel too.

jan said...

Babs, this is just the worst time of your life ever, you will get through though, you have lots of friends giving you their support, even if its only a message on here. It is the only way we can contact you and let you know you are in our thoughts. You and Stephen. I hope he will be home with you very soon. It will be best for both of you. Can the Chaplain not pull any strings to get him home for you. I'm sorry you had such a bad night, hpoefully now yo have heard him a bit chirpier, you will sleep better tonight. lol Jan xx