Monday, March 30, 2009

VISITORS and OKRA . . .

Hoorah! I see I've acquired a visitor from Oklahoma. Used to live in Davis, Oklahoma and my son was born in Ardmore.  Swam at a creek in Sulphur Springs. Bit smelly but picturesque.
Mostly I remember the oil rigs in lots of backyards (not mine unfortunately) and smell of oil and sulphur.

Re cooking: First set eyes on OKRA bush in garden - wasn't sure at first what to do with the funny little pods - but soon grew to love 'em. 

I trust you have all been flocking to your butchers in search of Ox Tongues. Yes? 
NO??  Admit it's not a pretty sight - but jolly good value for money in this time of recession and very tasty served on sandwiches or with a salad and pickles. 
Some folks like them served hot with creamed potatoes - but am not keen on hot tongue myself and the expression "I got me a hot tongue and a cold shoulder for having a few bevvies on way home from work" springs to mind. 
Rightly so . . . . you naughty boys!

Tomorrow I'm serving roast shoulder of lamb with onion sauce, mint jelly, new Cyprus potatoes, plus lots of veggies.  Followed by English pancakes w lemon and sugar for pudding.

The good news is my invalid gained 5 pounds in weight last week with all the nourishing food I'm providing. The bad news is that I did too!!  
Such is 'loife' as they say in Devon and High Wycombe.

No comments: