Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Orange & Almond Cake Recipe

Set oven to 180ºC
Assemble ingredients:
250g butter
250g caster sugar
4 large eggs
250g self raising flour
100g ground almonds
grated zest of large orange
2 tablespoons Grand Marnier or similar (or not).
Slivered almonds for top.

topping: icing sugar and Grand Marnier drizzled over top (or caster sugar in my case) after baking - whilst cake still warm.

Method:
Whizz butter and sugar together in food processor for 5 mins. 
Meanwhile prepare - line - cake tin with baking paper.
Add eggs gradually - one at a time - whizz well between each addition.
Add ground almonds/flour/orange zest in one go - pulse for 3 seconds.
Add Grand Marnier.
Pulse for 2 seconds.

Pour into prepared cake tin. Sprinkle flaked almonds on top.
Bake at 180ºC for approx (and I say approx 'cos ovens differ) 45 - 50 minutes till risen and firm.
Whilst warm - drizzle the Grand Marnier/sugar mix over top.

My cake resembles Mount Blanc for some reason. 
Only excuse I can think of is using the small secondary convector oven as element has blown on my fan oven, which is what I usually use. 
Also used my new Duralit processor which is so powerful it could mix cement!




No comments: