Sunday, March 15, 2009

FURRY THINGS . . . .

Feel quite holy (it IS Sunday) having spent majority of the day continuing to clear cupboards and boxes full of all sorts - some interesting - some ready for the bin.
Discovered an old navy velvet evening dress and a very nice fur stole stuffed in a large plastic bag at back of an ancient wardrobe.  Furs are no longer a) in fashion and b) animal rights are very much against it.  I do agree with the latter sentiment, but I must say the stole felt very luxurious and warm when I slipped it round my shoulders and I can understand why furs were so popular in my younger days. We must have had less conscience. Just didn't think about the poor animals.
I understand that East European women still wear furs.

Not sure what I'm going to do with it. No-one will want real fur, will they - so it'll probably go back into the plastic bag and stuffed in the cupboard once more for future generations to discover.

Now have a huge pile of clothes on the landing - ready to go to Hospice charity shop tomorrow.

I feel quite 'light' and this is only the beginning of the clear out. Next job, after I've chucked out all the unwanted clothes, is to start turfing out the drawers. Then it'll be tackling my store of books.  I've so many quilting books I could stock a library. Have shelves full. Have been collecting quilting books for over well over 20 years. Magazines too. 

I'm sure you need to read all this . . . . but it gets it off my chest.  So it's doing me some good.

Oh, that reminds me - there's the fabric in the loft.  . . . . .

2 comments:

jan said...

Oh Babs, I cant wait to see all those books and then the stuff from your loft. Go girl, that should keep you out of mischief for a bit.

Marty Mason said...

Yes, Babs, I still like real fur. I would probably not buy a fur in this era, but mine is so old and still very beautiful, I wear it with no guilt. All those folks who wear leather coats and alligator shoes don't seem to be bothered by activists. Double standard...I think.