Tuesday, March 17, 2009

EYES

In order to take my mind off my burning eyes, I stitched the strips of the lilac sampler together this afternoon and it is now beginning to resemble a quilt.

Many experienced quilters scoff at sampler quilts, but they are a great way of teaching beginners the rudiments and basic blocks of patchwork, quilting and appliqué, and they end up with a lovely quilt.

 I mentioned earlier that I am getting ready (and eager) to break out of my comfort zone and have a go at something daring. 
Spent 3 marvellous days with Caryl Bryer Fallert 9 years ago, and she has remained the Queen of artistic quilts ever since, as far as I'm concerned. The mind boggles at her skill and imagination.
I still have some patterns and fabrics from her workshops - thus have a starting point.
Watch this space (once they've sorted my eyes).

Meanwhile it's time to put the kettle on  for a cup of tea and cut a large slice of Almond Cake for my Invalid.  Will have to make another cake tomorrow - simple recipe. Not sure what flavour.  Will post it on my Blog.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Oooh Babs, I hope you manage to get your eyes sorted soon - I had shingles 18 months ago which almost affected my eyes - you can't aford to be without those!!

I made a sample quilt for my first quilt (from Lynne Edwards' book) and it taught me lot, so I'm all for sampler quilts!

Let us know how you get on with your eyes!
Angela

jan said...

Hi Babs,
Take care of your eyes they are precious. Iused to get exactly that a few years back, Irisitus or something like that, used to have to put drops in three times a day which ooooooooooo ouch reallllly hurt. Was told no gain wiout pain. TUT. Hope you get them looked at soon. BUT...should you have been sewing?????