Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Surrounded by Marigolds . . . and Gripe of the Day

Am glad to see back of bloomin' marigolds. Now facing more Winter Garden blocks. Have finished Autumn Pot Plant, Get 'orf my Peas and Umbrella blocks but cannot reveal them until they have appeared in Popular Patchwork magazine or on the website. (www.popularpatchwork.com) Sorry.

Am working on a quilt I designed about a month ago - in two colourways. Now waiting for some fabric I ordered from the US about 3 weeks ago. Taking its time to arrive - usually delivered in 5 - 10 days - once arrived miraculously within 3 days.

I attended Edinburgh Quilt Show last weekend - some nice quilts on display. It's a cosy show - met a couple of ex-students of mine which made it more enjoyable. Only exception was the attitude of a very 'cool' young woman on the door who, when asked if we had to pay full whack 'cos we arrived about an hour before the show closed, was very dismissive and quite rude. Was equally dismissive of an elderly lady who arrived after us and made a similar query. We only asked!
Entry fees were certainly not cheap - and judging by the gleaming Porsche parked outside the door - somebody may be making a very nice profit . . . .

I bought 2 fat quarters of fabric from a fabric stall at the show. Ordered a further two and half yards on returning home.
I was charged £5 postage but the actual postage was £1.94 and I can buy 7 yards of fabric from the US for £5.50 postage.
It cost me the equivalent of over £13 per metre whereas had I ordered from the States it would have cost approx £4.50 per yard including postage. I needed the fabric immediately so had no alternative but to buy from the UK. A sorry state of affairs, isn't it?

That's my gripe of the day . . .

No comments: