Saturday, October 25, 2008

Sampler workshop - Linda Straw method . . .

June chose to make her Sampler Quilt using calico and tea in various strengths.

Here she is - working on a picture of her house in reverse machine appliqué - otherwise known as the Linda Straw method 'cos it was Linda who developed the idea many years ago and we must give credit where's due.

Linda Straw - look her up on Google - makes the most fabulous, detailed and humorous quilts picturing scenes from Shakespeare's plays and other historical scenes. She is much copied.

June has embellished her blocks - bringing them to life - using machine embroidery.

3 comments:

jan said...

Babs, many moons ago I went on a class of Linda Starws, she is truly amazing and I loved the way she did her applique, no bondaweb, YES, I loved the class, I learned so much from her, she gave the class 150%, she was amusing, helpful, critical when we needed it, normal. Can you tell I loved the class.

carrie godber said...

Can anyone help me please? How do I get in touch with Linda Straw? She did 4 pictures of seasons which she made in approx 1983 for my father who was sewing manufacturer. If anyone can help me contact Linda that would be briliant. The company my father owned was called WSGodber in Nottingham. Thanks Carrie Godber

Anonymous said...

My Grandmother is Linda Straw I am currently writing my dissertation on an item she made which I have which is how i've found this post! She can be emailed on lindastraw@live.co.uk and i'm sure will be happy to help with questions where she can. Unfortunately she never kept much of a record of older work, so if you do find anything I'd really appreciate it being forwarded to me too at becca.luton@yahoo.co.uk.
thank you!
becca luton