Thursday, October 23, 2008

SERIOUS WARNING re energy saving . . . . .

Free wall insulation was installed yesterday by a company called THE MARK GROUP (energy saving).

A few weeks ago a nice young man, very smartly dressed, called to measure up the outside wall of my house.
His name is Dan Hubberstey and he works for THE MARK GROUP.

He informed me that an air vent would have to be installed in living room.

Q: Why on earth would I need that in this cold draughty room?

A: New regulations.

Q: Why put an air vent in a very draughty room with open fireplace and glass doors permanently open into another room which
has an open fireplace?

A: New regulations.

Q: Will there be a mess?

A: No.

Q: Are you sure?

A: Yes. It will be discreet.

RESULT:
The mess was appalling. Red dust and grit everywhere.

The cheap white plastic cover fell off when the curtain was closed revealing a large rough hole - see below.

My grandson was outside listening to us talking and I caught him peering at me through the ugly cheap brown plastic grate attached to the front of the house.

A force 10 gale was blowing cold air into the room. Heat had to be turned up as room was so cold.

What I want to know is - how does having to turn up the heat equate with energy saving?

A discreet air vent in the floor is a better alternative - see above - but this was not mentioned by Mr Hubberstey.

The MARK GROUP do not respond to my emails (with photos attached) or calls.

Have any of you experienced similar problems with the MARK GROUP or any other so-called energy saving firms?

How much do they receive from the government for the work?

1 comment:

jan said...

OMG Babs, how dreadful, I do hope they dont come knocking on my door. Are you having to pay for it all to be repaired. Send the bill to Mr. G. Brown c/o 10 Downing St.
Good for you to warn everybody, you ought to get in touch with the tv people