Sunday, October 12, 2008

Re Sparrows

I opened the kitchen curtains and there they were - waiting for breakfast, the little darlings.

Have spent the day at the sewing machine - my trusty mechanical Bernina - machine quilting The Singing Garden.
Added some trapunto which was disastrous - spent most of the evening trying to remove filling without ruining the quilt.
A lesson to be learned - don't try to be too clever and ambitious or add unnecessary embellishment to something that doesn't require it. In other words 'let well enough alone.'

Cooked liver and onions for supper - with creamed potatoes and a pile of broccoli. Lots of lovely oniony gravy. Very tasty.
Bought liver from Netto for 98p and broccoli for 39p.
A 'posh' couple at the checkout were putting their purchases (lots) into Sainsbury and M & S bags! 'nuff said.

Off to Christie Hospital at Manchester tomorrow accompanying a close friend who is having a liver biopsy. Not nice.

Got to pick Bramleys soon, before they fall. Tree is loaded. Have to dig out my jelly bag, turn my stool upside down, and get cracking making usual mint jelly - apple jelly - this and that apple jelly. Not making chutney tho' I have some green tomatoes languishing in the greenhouse. Still using remains of chutney from 2 years ago- when I had a mammoth chutney- making marathon. Can't face the smell that wafts through the house and took 6 months to shift.
Don't mind the smell of Elderflower Cordial - recipe I gave on my Blog a few months ago - which I understand some of you have made, with great success.

I shall make some of my famous Apple Sauce - containing a secret ingredient - and freeze it.
It's delicious and a far cry from the tasteless rubbish one buys in jars from the supermarkets.

Made a large Ginger Cake - strictly for company as I am on special eating regime. It is luscious if I do say so myself.
Moist, with a crunchy, gingery topping.

Ooh. Just remembered. As broccoli is so cheap at the moment I made a h u g e pan of broccoli soup. Couldn't find a recipe so made it up from usual basic vegetable soup from my stint at catering college. Served soup on Saturday to a friend who wanted seconds and thirds. Said no as I wanted to freeze the remainder for another time.
By gum it were reet tasty - made more so by adding grated stilton and a swirl of cream just before serving.

Do you think this special eating regime is leaving me hungry? All this talk of food is worrying.

By 'eck - might go and have some peanut butter on toast. That's not fattening.

No comments: