Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Fans of Elderflower Cordial. . .

I understand one or two of you are making Elderflower Cordial according to my old recipe handed down from my Welsh grandmother, and are concerned about the smell. People, the smell is that of muscat (as in wine) not tomcat!

Yes, the mush does look a mite 'green' and no, I don't add the stalks. I do add a couple of lemons (chopped roughly) plus grannie's secret ingredient - quarter teaspoonful of Citric Acid powder/crystals (think sherbert dabs) which add flavour and improves the keeping properties.
Use GLASS bottles - not plastic - and make sure they are sterilised (in dishwasher) and warmed in oven for 10 mins before filling with the hot liquid, right to the top. Tighten lid and store bottles in cool, dark place for 2 weeks before drinking.

I also have the recipe for Elderflower champagne which is quite nice and sparkly for interested parties.

No comments: