Friday, June 20, 2008

Asparagus Tart - pt II

Two bunches of English (the best) asparagus languished in the 'fridge for a few days. Usually serve the spears on a bed of rocket topped with soft poached egg and shavings of parmesan - but the yen to make a tart overcame me as I had all the ingredients necessary (or so I thought) to make a delectable culinary dish.

However, upon delving into the freezer for a pack of wot else but ready made Saxby's shortcrust pastry - I discovered 3 packs of 'all-butter puff' and 2 packs of 'sweet dessert' pastry - with ne'er a sign of a suitable shortcrust for my tart.

Lord luv a duck! Does this mean I had to actually 'make' some pastry? Yes, it did. I had to force myself, too.

So, m'dear here is my grandmother's shortcrust pastry recipe from her Bero book:

This is the oldest/plainest pastry recipe in the world methinks.

4ozs plain flour
1oz lard
1oz butter
pinch of salt
water to bind.

I mixed mine in an excellent little food processor as recommended by Delia on her latest TV programmes.
Just threw in the ingredients and let them whizz about before adding a few drops of water. Jamie would say 'chuck in' of course.
Rested the resultant lump in the 'fridge for 30 mins then rolled it out thinly before lining the tart.
Baked it 'blind' @ 200ºC for 15 mins. Removed foil and dried beans.
Returned denuded pastry case to oven for further 4/5 mins.
Filled the case with lightly steamed asparagus (cut into 2" pieces) and a concoction of cream/eggs and 2 ozs grated cheese.
Sprinkled the top with grated fresh parmesan. Baked at 180ºC for approx 40 mins - but keep checking so the top doesn't get as overdone as mine!

It tastes - I'll rephrase that - it tasted - much better than it looks/looked. Everyone had seconds and one greedy person (not me) had three helpings!
On that note will bid you goodnight as I am hungry and started on my non-carbohydrate diet this morning. Feel like a mug of hot, sweet cocoa and 4/5 Rich Tea biscuits to dunk in it. Having a glass of water instead. Wot I do for England!

No comments: