Sunday, May 3, 2009

GUINNESS AND SAMPLES OF TWIN-NEEDLE STS . . .







I have, in the past, run workshops on "Know your Sewing Machine." 

First task for students was to create a 'sampler' of all the stitches on their sewing machines, using different needles ranging from Universal, Topstitch, Twin and Triple (yes, triple) needles of different sizes for pin tucks plus Flange needles for delicate lace and Broderie Anglaise Heirloom sewing. 

Stitches were extended/ decreased - top / bottom tensions loosened and /or tightened. 

Needle positions changed - stitches overlapped - patterns opened up.  

Experiments were done using different weights/types of threads, including metallics.  

I included smocking by machine if there was time - but by 4 o clock we'd all usually had enough and staggered, drained, out of the workroom.  

Ex students still come up to me and remind me of those days.  
Make remarks such as, "'Babs - I'll never forget that sewing machine course you used to do - it was absolutely exhausting - and was too tired to make my husband's tea when I got home!" 

Followed by, "WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO DO ANOTHER ONE?"    Hmm . . . . . .

Provide the Guinness -  and I might!

Have posted just a few of my own samples (above) to give you some ideas - with remarks pencilled beside each group of stitches as a reminder.

No comments: