Thursday, May 14, 2009

My Very First Feathers - a la Patsy Thomson . .



Have admired old fashioned quilts with their meticulous feathers and envied the quilters who made them.  Tried marking out complete feathers in an attempt to stitch lovely shapes - but to no avail.
Finally - by accident - came across Patsy Thompson a few weeks ago. 
(click on side bar - www.patsythompsondesigns.com
Purchased a number of her DVD's -  sat for hours glued to the set, whilst Stephen rested (he watched some of them - found them relaxing). 
Played and replayed the videos - making sketches as I gazed with awe at Patsy's seemingly simple methods.  She is a first rate tutor and you will learn a LOT!
I have just about filled my notebook with drawings of feathers. 
Reached a stage - this afternoon when Stephen was sleeping - and felt confident enough to try reproducing a feather or two on a spare piece of bright yellow Michael Miller fabric. 
This 'golden feather' sample piece is my very first attempt at drawing feathers with a topstitch needle and different coloured embroidery threads on fabric. 
I think I've made a fair start - apart from wonky feather which had a mind of its own - and learned one lesson - that adding a contrasting colour emphasises faults or wonky curves - and that one has to be careful when choosing thread - both colours and weight - as Patsy explains in her DVD's.  
Must perfect my feathers before attempting clever additions and thus avoid making same mistake again.

No comments: