Friday, May 29, 2009

Feathers - non-bird variety!

Whilst still on the subject of birds, am still plodding on with my feathers a la Patsy Thompson. 
Practise, practise, practise is Patsy's mantra - but mine seem to be getting worse. 
I'm probably rushing - and didn't use water soluble thread on this trapunto feather - which I should have done.
I used some cheap old calico I bought years ago which was inclined to pucker, whereas I understand that cotton sateen is what the pro's use and gives better results. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!.
Have had to send to US for some cotton sateen as no-one appears to stock it in UK. Could only obtain it in white so will have to dig out my dyeing materials from the shed and have a dyeing session at top of garden whilst weather holds out. I use a microwave for dyeing small quantities. 
Hari Walters Book - "Exploring Machine Trapunto" is excellent.

8 comments:

jan said...

Would you like some sari silk, I have quite a lot of it and it is lovely quilted.

jan said...

Forgot to tell you, my tickets came the other day, for the raffle quilt, with a very nice note. Lovely lady, you too of course. hee hee

Babs Banter/QUILTECH said...

Thanks very much Jan. Sending you email.

Babs

creativegal said...

Looks lovely the cushion mum

Anonymous said...

Hi Babs, Loveeeeeeee your cushion! I have not got that far yet as yet, still sewing the Norwegian embroidery tablecloth (Hardanger) for the raffle! What nice comments from Jan, I think all quilters are lovely, I have met some super gals in the two years I have been quilting. Raffle doing quite nicely with the quilt being much admired.Hugs and cuddles if needed. xx

Pat Fernandes said...

Babs, Ooops,dont know how I came up as anonymous! In case it happens again, its Pat Fernandes!xx

jan said...

Have linked to your Blog from mine about your quilting, hope you don't mind Babs.

Maggi said...

Your feathers look pretty good to me.