Sunday, May 3, 2009

SINGING GARDEN QUILT






There's an article in June issue of Popular Patchwork magazine - (see side bar) - and  it would appear that many quilters shie away from using twin needles in their work.

I have used twin needles with success for years.  Machine quilted the Popular Patchwork Singing Garden BOM quilt using 1.6 mm twin needles with 100% pure silk thread. Aimed at a 'ribbon' effect, which twin needles give - to echo the large ribbons on the borders.

Twin needling is great fun and fills up those empty spaces very quickly.  I sometimes use 2 different coloured threads in the top spools - usually echoing a colour. 
For example have used  turquoise  and navy threads in top spools in the past - or pink and crimson threads - or two tones of green.  Look very effective. Try it.

If I can find my samples (somewhere in the loft) - made years ago - will post pics of them on my Blog. As the saying goes - "A picture is worth a thousand words!"

Meanwhile here are some pics of twin needles in action with the Singing Garden quilt.

A nice change from food and hospitals.


3 comments:

Angela said...

Thanks for that Babs...that's really useful! I'm now thinking I might use twin needle quilting on my Rhapsody Quilt :o)
Angela

jan said...

Absolutely brilliant Babs, is it OK if I send people to your Blog to see this? Am sure it will be, just wanted your OK first.

Maggi said...

Great post Babs. I had forgotten how interesting twin needle stitching can be until the PP Journal came up. I totally agree with you that we should get to know what our machine can do. We had to do the sort of exercise that you outlined when I was doing my C & G and made a little book of the stitches. I now have three little books as since then I have had two other machines but still remember the value of those exercises.