Wednesday, May 6, 2009

We visit the Hospice. . .

Stephen had an interview with Prof MB at our local Hospice yesterday to receive an in-depth assessment as to his present and future needs. I accompanied him.  It was a sad business and I cried at one point during the interview, realising this was the beginning of a slippy slope . . . or, as Stephen says,  "where I collect the ticket."

I'm not sure how/when we shall use their facilities as we have to wait for the official letter of approval re Stephen's needs.

It was very quiet.  Stephen fluttered his eyelids when shown the lounge in the day care unit containing about 8 patients of differing ages - sitting in a row - in silence, most with heads down - looking very much as though they had given up. 
Very depressing to observe, tho' the 2 nurses in the dining area were cheerful enough.
No activities were being held whilst we were there - but perhaps our visit co-incided with holidays and suchlike, or perhaps there was no demand for them yesterday.

We'll have to make a few visits on different days before we can properly judge and mustn't make criticisms until we know exactly what is on offer. 

Stephen is certainly not ready to sit and nod aimlessly - and I will do my utmost, with every bone in my body, to make sure he doesn't end up in that state.

He put his arm around me as we left the building - we looked at each other - and cried.


 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you , please may I send you both a hug,


Joan

Anonymous said...

Hi Babs,
My mum spent a few days in a hospice, and the place was bright and airy. Mum was okay there, nothing like the place you have described. Maybe your hospice was having an 'off' day!
My thoughts are with you both.

Caz

jan said...

Oh Babs, how awful, I am sure the Hospice was just as Caz says having an off day. They are not normally like that I am sure. I know what is ahead, but Stephen deserves better doesnt he. As you say he is not ready to sit and nod. That was so sad to see. My heart goes out to you both. (((HUGS))) for you both. lol Jan

hilary said...

dJust a few words somebody said to me, "today is for living" Grab with both hands, laugh, cry or swing from the trees ,if that's what you want to do

Hugs to you both