Wednesday, June 24, 2009

MP's Expenses - Making a Mockery . . . .



Did you read Saturday's Daily Telegraph to check your MP's expenses? I did, though Telegraph is not my usual paper. You may be in for a surprise. Under the heading "Making a mockery - The rest of the Mockers" our 2 local MP's were among the highest claimants in the country.

Geraldine Smith, for example, was 37th out of 645 MP's in claiming a total of £166,097 expenses in 2007/8 and claimed the maximum £400 most months for food, whilst Ben Wallace was top claimant out of all MP's for Additional Costs Allowance but no claim for his food.

These figures do not include generous salaries of £64,766 per annum.
For a 12 month period in 2007/8 Geraldine Smith was in receipt of a hefty £230,863 whilst Ben Wallace received £239,789. Not bad, eh?
Click on the pictures to enlarge them.
Check your own MP's expenses on side bar (www.mps-expenses.info). Happy viewing!!

1 comment:

jan said...

Yes I saw this Babs, What a disgrace they all are. One of our MP's had the audacioty to say he was doing it fdor his disabled wife in case anything should happen to him! The nerve of the man. I didn't vote this time round I was just so disgusted with them all, I couldn't bring myself to vote for any of the parties.