Saturday, June 6, 2009

Miracle Drug . . .

Have not posted details about him for a while, but Stephen has been through a bad patch lately. The chemo has not proved effective. Since when he has suffered high temperatures and rigors followed by drenching sweats. 
Doctor prescribed steroid tablets in an attempt to stop the debilitating symptoms and the results seem miraculous.
He's now able to potter in the garden and even do simple 'jobs' in the home.
However, there is sometimes an unfortunate side effect to this drug  - in the form of increased irritability which, I'm sorry to say, has affected Stephen.
This is not proving easy to deal with and I am trying to be understanding and patient as possible.

A Carers meeting is being held at the Hospice on Wednesday. I'm planning to attend, in the hope they can help me to cope with Stephen's irritability.
I have rejoined my pilates group - having left in January to concentrate on Stephen - my doctor told me that, in order to remain strong for Stephen, I must take care of myself. Hence the pilates classes, a new diet and drinking lots of water.

4 comments:

jan said...

Hello Babs,
Thank goodness for the doctor having sense to see you also need help. I am pleased to hear you are re-joining your class. lol Jan x

Maggi said...

It is always too easy for people to forget about your needs - well done you doctor. When Stephen gets irritable he is probably quite scared as well. Difficult to always be reasonable when you feel things are completely out of your control. Maggi

Patricia Fernandes said...

Hi Babs,
Steroids are wonderful for dealing with the downside of chemo etc, what a wonderful boost and one could almost clean every house in the street! New found lease of life! Unfortunately, like you have found there is a downside to this too. I feel for Stephen cos I have been there, but also for you too. I never thought of my partner when I was going through it, but I can now understand "the other side" too.You have to look after yourself Babs,to be in the best of health to cope.I am thinking of you both with a hug.xx Pat

Margaret said...

Jack the Dancer, doesn't make you dance well, he instructs new moves and steps that you never thought you could apply. Your attitude sounds good, stay with it. Enjopyed all the photos from past posts