Monday, June 22, 2009

Can you beat a 20 year old cake mix?


During my clutter clear out - starting with kitchen - discovered - tucked away at the back of a deep cupboard - a 20 year old American Betty Crocker Angel Food Cake mix. It mentions a cake competition on the back of the pack - entry date September 1990. Think I might enter. Am contacting General Mills in Minneapolis to see if they will accept a late entry. Will make the cake and keep you posted! Wonder if Antiques Roadshow would be interested?

Pantry has been whitewashed and new shelves erected for my home-made jams, jellies and marmalades. The bottles of Elderflower Cordial look really good - less like hospital specimens - and have settled down - looking clearer as each day passes. Will post a picture later this week - test a bottle in 2/3 weeks time.
Found an interesting new recipe amongst my ancient cookery books for use of Elderflower cordial - Summer Cocktail for those with alcoholic tendencies. Will post it tomorrow.

Cut out the appliqués for the Winter SG quilt this evening and hope to apply them by weekend. I'm glad to say the editor of Popular Patchwork has extended the deadline and given us to the end of July to send pictures of our SG quilts to the magazine.

Will be interesting from my point of view to see the changes made to the original design by various quilters. Exciting.

2 comments:

jan said...

Oh Babs, what a laugh, go on do it, see what happens. They may send you a lifetimes supply of the cake mix. hahaha Oh I am looking forward to seeing the cake - not!! Surely it will have weevils in it!! Yukky.
You have made me smile this evening, Ive needed that so much. Thanks Babs lol Jan x

jan said...

Oh my, I have just been on their site to have a look and they still do it. What a giggle this is going to be. Go Babs Go....