Thursday, February 4, 2010

Swollen legs . . . and panic . . .

Stephen panicked last night - the first time since he was taken ill. He is usually very positive, but last night his legs were playing him up - felt heavy and tight, and were weeping in places. They had swelled up considerably during the day in spite of frusemide (water tablets) - elastic stockings, massage and having his legs well supported above body level.
He cannot wear shoes and resorts to large old-fashioned slippers with felcro fastenings, as his feet are swollen out of all recognition.

Stephen shouted and raged against the illness for half the night - which I have now learned to ignore. I feel dreadfully sorry for him but realise he needs an outlet to get rid of the angst and bitterness. It' s difficult at times, but am determined not to play the martyr, and aim to be as loving and helpful as possible, given the cirumstances.

I rang the 'oedema' nurse at the hospice this morning and she will be in touch this afternoon.
I am hoping she will show me what to do as I don't think my massage techniques are helping the problem. I'm a bit 'rough' - which is OK for breadmaking - kneading dough - but not appropriate for a patient with very tender swollen legs.

NB: If you smoke or drink heavily I suggest you stop immediately. The information I give on this blog is only half the tale. Your future, and that of your family, will NOT be bright!


2 comments:

Maggi said...

I hope that you manage to get help with Stephen's legs. You are right to ignore the outbursts, they are not personal and do provide an outlet for frustration. I totally endorse what you say about the smoking and drinking, on their own they are not good but in combination ... Maggi

jan said...

Here here to what Maggi says. They should be banned, they cause so much grief.
Keep going Babs....Jan