Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Home from the Hospice . . .

Stephen wanted to come home so I collected him from the hospice late this afternoon - since when he slept, but woke at 9 o clock wanting sponge pudding and custard, which I duly made for him. Luckily I had made a big welcome home marmalade cake, using some of the marmalade I made on Sunday. Warmed it up and made some custard - so it was no big deal. He enjoyed it and ate the lot!
He's tucked up in bed which I made extra comfortable by putting 2 duvets on top of the mattress. He is getting very thin and bony - so the extra cushioning will hopefully prevent bed sores developing. Tight elastic stockings to help reduce the swelling in his legs are worn during the day, and his legs have to be massaged (upwards) every morning.

Stephen was measured for a stairlift this morning - which should make life a bit easier as he has great difficulty crawling up the stairs and is determined not to have a bed downstairs. Feels that is below his dignity and the last straw.

I feel tired myself after running around all evening seeing to things - making sure he is comfortable. The doctor says Stephen can be admitted to the hospice at any time - but Stephen feels he wants to spend time at home - which I understand - but just hope my energy holds out. There is only me here to see to everything, whereas there were helpers, cleaners, nurses, doctors seeing to all his needs in the hospice, and alas I am no longer a 'Spring Chicken' but more like an 'Old Boiler!'



4 comments:

jan said...

Oh Babs,
I just don't know what to say. Keep your chin up.
You a Boiler, never in a million years.
I will say this Babs, I have such admiration for you, I am just not sure I could do what you are doing. Really I'm not.
much love to you both
Jan

Maggi said...

I am sure that Stephen is happier now that he is home but I also know what a drain this will be on your resources. Keep strong. Maggi

Cath said...

Somehow or other Babs, the strength we need in these situations just seems to materialize. Take care, Cath

Grammy said...

Dear BAbs, Thinking of both of you.
Love, Ruby