Wednesday, February 10, 2010

For whom the bell tolls . . . .

It tolls for me! Have placed my old school bell next to Stephen's bed so he can ring when he needs me.

Doctor called yesterday morning - to check the infection in Stephen's foot - prescribed antibiotics. Apparently it is dangerous if the infection gets under the skin - spreads to his legs - could set up diabetes. The oedema has now spread up the legs to his stomach, which is vastly distended. He is also experienced pain for the first time when doctor gently pressed the liver.

Doctor took me aside - explained the situation and what to expect over the next week or two (not months). Discussed end-of-life care and whether I could cope with him at home over the following weeks. A special pack is to be ordered - to be kept at home for the medics to use as Stephen deteriorates, when he may, or may not - depending on how he feels - be transferred to the Hospice.

Stephen remained in bed all day - ringing the bell, as necessary.

However, in the evening, as I was sitting trying to relax - doing a bit of mindless knitting and watching women giving birth on TV (will opt for a caesarian next time) - the bell rang furiously. I panicked - ran upstairs to find a very cheerful Stephen sitting up in bed doing the Times crossword and requesting a second glass of Wisniowka (Polish cherry vodka to the uniniated).

I think you could say we are on a rollercoaster!


4 comments:

Maggi said...

I am really sorry to hear that things are so up and down for you. You also need to prepare yourself for the emotional roller coaster that will come later. Email me if you need someone to talk to who has been there. Look after yourself. Maggi x

Jo Hopwood said...

Poor you Babs, know you have kind thoughts coming from all over - not much help I know, but people are thinking of you x Jo

jan said...

Babs, do email Maggi, if she has been in that situation she can help you enormously.
Email anyone and just idly chat, it will do you good.
That roller coaster is going to be a difficult ride I am afraid.
When I saw weeks not months......

Much love to you
Jan x

Grammy said...

Dear Babs,
How my heart aches for you and Stephen. I lost my last three siblings in the past 2 years, and now there is just me left in that immediate family. My husband has Altzheimer's (dementia). You and Stephen are in my prayers.
Love,
Ruby