Friday, February 5, 2010

Not a good day . . .

Stephen had a bad day yesterday, followed by a very bad night.
Our local pharmacist turned up on the doorstep during the evening - with morphine - prescribed by our GP and faxed to the pharmacy. There's not many who would take the trouble to do that and we were especially grateful for his thoughtfulness. The medicine proved invaluable during the night.

Stephen had difficulty moving this morning - so remained in bed for the whole day and slept most of the time.
He is now wide awake - it's 1 a.m - and I've gently massaged his legs, changed his nightwear for the 3rd time - was damp with sweat - and plumped up the pillows.
Made Stephen some food and a warm drink but he asked for a thimbleful of Polish cherry vodka to warm his tum before he settles down again. Doc says there's nothing to lose by having the odd glass of wine or whatever at this stage if it gives Stephen some comfort, so I brought him a liqueur glass half full of Wisniowka, which he thoroughly enjoyed.

The district nurse is calling here tomorrow morning to keep an eye on Stephen, and I shall be very glad indeed to see the oedema nurse who is coming to treat his legs - and show me what to do.

The Outreach nurse rang this morning to see if I needed some 'respite' - i.e. go shopping whilst a nurse sits with Stephen. This could prove a valuable aid and I shall take advantage of every kind of help available when I need it, 'cos I'm slowly getting v tired.





5 comments:

Maggi said...

Do make sure that you take some time for yourself when you get the opportunity. It is the only way to stay strong enough to cope. Maggi

Angela said...

Yes Babs...do look after yourself too...I'm thinking about you...Angela

jan said...

Every time someone offers help - take it - accept it full on, you need those mini breaks Babs, even if its 15 mins or so. Take them and go out away from it all. It will do you good, I do hope the Doctors are keeping an eye on you too....Jan

Jo Hopwood said...

I hope the nurse could help, and make sure you take that respite, as you say, you are the only one to do everything at the moment, you need the break.

Unknown said...

Holding you both in my thoughts Babs, Take care.