Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Another grim day . . .

Another grim day. Stephen has an infection in his foot, which looks nasty and could spread to his leg if not treated. Parts of his legs are weeping already. Chiropodist coming at tea-time.

Oedema nurse arrived this afternoon - not much she could do - apart from showing me how to massage his legs. Says it is due to problems much higher up. She is going to see Stephen again on Thursday at the Hospice when we see Professor MB and the hospice team, including social services, for a complete review of Stephen's situation.
My chiropodist phoned whilst nurse was here - so it was useful for them to have an exchange re possible medication and treatment for Stephen's foot.
The chiropodist is super. Highly qualified and the best in the town if not the county. I've been treated by a few chiropodist/podiatrists but NB beats them all. She dressed his foot - said it was a bacterial infection and asked me to call the GP for a prescription, but Doctor said he wanted to see Stephen himself and will call here tomorrow. For which I'm thankful.

Stephen has spent an uncomfortable day - angry and stressed - made worse by collapsing in a heap on the stairs this evening. We spent an hour struggling to get him up the stairs - out of breath with every step he took. We are supposed to be having a stairlift installed - so I will be ringing the firm in the morning to get them moving. We can't go on like this.
Stephen was extremely distressed and weepy when I finally got him into his bed.

Morphine will help him sleep for a few hours.

NB: I trust any heavy smokers or drinkers out there are taking heed of this situation.
This could quite easily be you . . .

3 comments:

Jo Hopwood said...

I'm glad the GP is coming out, how is that respite care coming along? Take care x Jo

Maggi said...

I feel for you so much. Take care. Maggi x

jan said...

Babs, you know I really care for you and Stephen, this is a damn awful journey you are both on, and for you it is not getting any easier. Insist on some help. You will end up totally exhausted, which is no use to anybody.
Jan x