Thursday, July 19, 2012

1930's quilt on the bed . . .13 year old UFO . .


My 13 year old UFO quilt - just about finished - on my bed for you all to see.

This is the third UFO of 12 quilt tops I have vowed to finish.

I'm going to scallop the border in keeping with the 'old style prettiness' of this quilt.

Looked at some antique quilts with their slightly higgledy-piggledy quilting and wanted similar effect for my quilt. Wanted it to look old fashioned, which think I've achieved.

Looked at wall paintings in Kelmscott Church where Wm Morris worshipped, and is buried.

Ancient floor tiles in St John the Baptish Church, Cirencester were an inspiration and starting point
for that first tiny square of quilting which, like topsy, changed and grew.

No vermicelli or meandering in sight.
Used vermicelli and meandering on my first UFO - the Lone Star - see earlier post.

Used a combination, of my kitchen window glass design and McTavishing, for my second quilt - Wm Morris - see earlier post.  What next....?





3 comments:

Maggi said...

It's beautiful, as are those floor tiles.

Babs Banter/QUILTECH said...

Thanks Maggi. Was a bit stumped at first in deciding how to quilt it. Saw the floor tiles in a dark corner of the church whilst visiting my daughter in Cirencester and hey presto - thought - that'll be a start and a change from the old vermicelli. Changed the designs as I went along - but all the time keeping them 'old fashioned.' I think the scalloped border will really enhance the quilt.

Angie said...

So, you're keeping that Juki then?