Thursday, February 5, 2009

It's upon us . . . . MARMALADE WEEK!

Time to root out out some jam jars.  You know you've got some.  Stored in shed for past 5 years - underneath that 3 year old home-made Christmas pudding you promise to use each Yuletide, but can't face and then settle for Aldi's best.

Buy two and half pounds of  Seville oranges - only a limited supply in shops ......  another week and they'll be gone - whoosh.....no more to be seen until 2010. 
Granulated sugar - approx four and half pounds unless you like your marmalade very sweet, which I don't, in which case buy 5 lbs.

I like my marmalade like I like my men - colourful, not too thick, with a 'kick' and I don't mean up the proverbial!!!!

My dear friend and quilting chum Julie (see side bar) has already beat me to the post and made 7lbs of the delectable stuff.  Her colour is better too so better look to my laurels.
She freezes some of hers!! Gracious - no cracked jars? Wrap them in wadding?

My DB (dearest brother) too has pipped me to the post - a case of sibling rivalry(?) 
I suspect my marmalade will be better than his . . . .hee haw  hee haw . . . tho' his chilli jelly beats all . . .

Step by step pics will be posted over next couple of days - so keep watching!

2 comments:

JulesQuilts said...

Haven't had any cracked or broken jars yet! I just put them in there and leave them!
Hope St's ok.
Julie

Anonymous said...

Just received the DHB '09 vintage so I'll gladly do a taste test if you send a jar down - can never have too much marmalade, especially if it's free! Chris.