Monday, July 13, 2009

Devastating news . . .

A scan on Friday has revealed enlargement of the tumours in Stephen's liver. This is devastating news as he seemed to be doing so well on the steroids.
He has, however, developed excruciating pain in his back which the oncologist fears may be related to his condition and has arranged a bone scan.
Stephen has been in terrible pain these past 2 weeks which only morphine seems to deaden. Last night he had to resort to a double dose before he could manage to sleep. Before that we were up half the night. The morphine is still in his system so he feels a bit better this morning.

Whilst most are of the opinion that Stephen should now leave well enough alone and continue with palliative care - he has insisted on further treatment with chemo starting next Tuesday.
This particular chemo is aggressive with side effects of hair loss, diarrhoea, life threatening infection, and death - according to the doctor's written comments on the certificate Stephen has had to sign.
"I am not going to just sit and wait to die," he said. "I'm going to take a chance on the chemo extending my life."
I am worried stiff, and wonder what choice I would make given the same situation.
What would you do?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Babs,you are both in my prayers. Stephen has so much courage, as do you in supporting him. I don't know what I'd choose to do in that situation myself but you are both very lucky to have such a loving family. Keep strong.

jan said...

Hi Babs and Stephen,
what horrid news for you both. I really cannot say what I would choose in Stephen's circumstances, I would like to think I would feel the same as he does. Good on you Stephen. I admire you so much, and Babs, lots of love coming your way my friend. Jan xx

Maggi said...

So sorry to hear that the news was not good. I don't think it's ever possible to know how we would react in such a situation and it would be nice to think we never have to find out. Stephen is very brave and obviously thinks the risks worth taking. Wishing you lots of love for the strength you are showing too. Maggi

Patricia Fernandes said...

Hi Babs
Been away,just read your terrible news. As a cancer patient (former, hopefully) myself, I can only say that life is precious and I would do whatever it takes.This is easy to say though, would I really be as strong as Stephen? I pray that you will continue to have the strength to comfort Stephen and support him. There has to be a cure for the C and one day, it will come. My prayers are for you both. Love Pat

Sylvia said...

Thinking of you both at this very hard time. Hope the chemo really helps. Hope you are able to keep well to be able to be supportive.

Jo Hopwood said...

What a difficult choice to have to make Babs, I hope you are getting plenty of support to help you support him.