Wednesday, June 12, 2013

So disappointed - I could weep . . .

struggling
Very disappointed with the quilting on my latest UFO - winter version of the Popular Patchwork Singing Garden quilt which was my favourite of the three.

I bought some fine 100% white cotton from Empress Mills (Colne) to back the quilt - but it has too tight a weave. Lovely fabric and quite perfect for sheeting but not for backing a quilt. It is harder for the needle to pierce the fabric at high speed.
To add insult to injury, the charcoal Michael Miller Fairy Frost fabric I chose to piece the top has a metallic coating, as does the white Michael Miller Fairy Frost background tho' not as thick - makes quilting across seams wellnigh impossible.  And believe me, there's a lot of seams in this quilt.

The needle comes to a full stop when it meets a seam. Tried different size needles -  thought it might be my Juki, so tried quilting on each of my two Berninas and met with same problem.
Both fabrics are OK for appliqué or stitch-in-the-ditch quilting.

The beige Michael Miller fabric I used in the autumn version is not as thick and secondary fabric was a thin batik thus no problems with seams. Quilted beautifully.

It's such a shame. I intend to continue quilting as much as possible but it doesn't look right which means this quilt will never see the light of day.

Must be careful in future when choosing fabrics for piecing and backing. Make sure they do not have a tight weave or/and thick metallic coatings.  All that work . . . makes me want to cry . . . Boo hoo . . . .




3 comments:

Stephanie Pettengell said...

Have you tried using a microtex needle, it has a sharper point to pierce through fine weave fabrics.

Babs Banter/QUILTECH said...

STephanie,

yes, I use microtex needles - nothing works. Have never used this fine weave sheeting before and never will again. Can quilt - but very slowly. Quilting over seams is impossible.

Karee said...

Unstitch it. Get a new backing. Send to a longarmer. I would be glad to give it a go.