Sunday, November 4, 2012

Primitive paintings . . a change is as good as a rest?

Inspiration to quilt the remainder of the 'Love Much' quilt is a bit slow in coming so I have turned to painting which I have taken up again recently.
I first started painting in 1971 whilst on a college holiday in Cornwall with my husband who was studying art. I was in the drama department. I became restless and bored sitting around so, not having a spare pencil, he gave me a black felt tip pen and told me to draw something/anything to keep me quiet - so I did. I drew rude pebbles, followed by a drawing of the churchyard in St Ives where Alfred Wallis -  famous primitive painter  -  was buried. Ben Nicholson and many other artists of that era were much influenced by Alfred Wallis' work.
 1971
 1971
 2012
I received some positive feedback from the art tutor - Edmond Holmes - who said I should continue, so I did a rude painting of Newlyn Harbour 'cos that's how I felt at the time (look closely and you'll see what I mean.) That brought to an end my artistic endeavours until weekly Cancercare meetings following Stephen's death two years ago where I slowly began to take a renewed interest in life, and painting, thanks mainly to the encouragement of two art tutors, Kath and Karen.
It's no use pretending I can do pretty or realistic pictures, but am told I have a 'style' which I should stick to.   The latter picture, of the boat beside the river, was finished this morning. I have others paintings in mind, but no rude ones folks . . . have entered calmer waters!
Hope to resume work on the quilt tomorrow.

1 comment:

Lynn Holland said...

Babs, what a wonderful artist you are. I am so glad I popped in to have a look.
I hope you will show your paintings on my blog
www.sketchbookfriends.blogspot.co.uk
I know everyone would want to see them.
You can leave a comment there with a link to your page and I will load it up.