Friday, May 30, 2008

WOT A DAY THIS HAS BEEN Mark 2

Almost a repeat of yesterday except I have not done any ironing nor made any bread. 

I watched bird activity in my garden instead. Two blue-tits are housed in one of the nesting boxes - flying back and forth like crazy - obviously feeding their young. I didn't want to miss the fledglings leaving the box - sat for most of the afternoon with binoculars glued to my face in the hope of seeing them.  No luck and the blue-tits are still 'at it' this afternoon if you'll pardon the expression.  
Did manage to cook liver and onions for 'high tea' with creamed potatoes, chopped cabbage and peas/carrots followed by a delicious rhubarb tart on a pastry cream base served chilled - with cream. Starting diet tomorrow.
Blackbirds have built a nest on top of an old nesting box. Lots of activity in that quarter - but no sign of any youngsters.  Lots of young sparrows and starlings not to mention adult coal-tits, doves and 'The Pigeon Family' who feed and bathe in the large bird-bath together with 'Armless' who damaged his wing last winter and I foolishly(?) fed him and let him roost in my shed until he was able to fly. I say foolish because he has since brought all his family - from home and abroad by the looks of things - to feed in the garden.

However, this morning I layered the 'Singing Garden' BOM quilt I designed for Popular Patchwork magazine. Used a mini gadget with tags that I bought from Malvern Show a couple of weeks ago. Number of tags used was frightening (1000's) but perhaps I 'tagged' too close - about 2 to 3 ins apart.  It was certainly much quicker than tacking (basting) or safety pinning.
The proof of the pudding so to speak will be when I start to quilt and whether or not they will be a nuisance and difficult to remove.

I pinned and straight stitched 1/4" around all sides of the quilt before cutting away excess backing and wadding - then zig zagged around the whole quilt.  

Looks as though it has a case of measles with all the black 'spots.'

Now the fun begins.  Have sat and stared at it - will no doubt stare at it some more before I begin. My trusty Bernina is all set with a new needle and threaded with pure silk thread (as is the bobbin) . . . . . .no more excuses . . . . . . . 

Cooking a turkey crown I bought last Christmas from Aldi for tea ('supper' if you're posh). Looks very big and very solid. Cooking instructions state  two hours @ 180ºC covered with foil. Then half an hour without.  Will do.
Not sure what to serve with it.  Will make that decision when I tear myself away from this computer. Certainly will be having Rhubarb Tart - have enough to feed me for a fortnight (2 weeks in American speak!)  Ta ta for now . . . . . 

No comments: